McDowell County 4-H
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
Are you enrolled in 4-H Online? This is the most reliable way to get updates on 4-H programming and is required to participate in any 4-H activities. Enroll here.
What is 4-H? Why should my child join?
For specific information about a 4-H Club, call the 4-H Leader listed below.
- 4-H Livestock Club: Skyler Murray, Ag & Natural Resources Agent, 828-652-8104.
- 4-H Young Guns: Chad Ray, 4-H Agent, 828-652-8104
- 4-H Busy Bees: Sharon Fairchild, 828-460-4044
- Feisty 4-H Club: Samantha Kellogg, firstname.lastname@example.org
4-H Clubs are organized in communities throughout McDowell County. Clubs are led by parent and community volunteers who have been screened and trained by Extension personnel. Since 4-H is a family program, parents and guardians are actively involved at club functions and meetings.
4-H is the Cooperative Extension System’s dynamic and educational program for youth. 4-H has about 6 million youth members across the United States. The name 4-H is summarized as the four-fold development of youth through the Head, Heart, Hands, and Health. 4-H is the largest youth organization in the country, and over 120 years old. While 4-H has its roots in agriculture, we offer a variety of programming including STEM, Fine Arts, Civic Engagement and more! As an extension of our land grant universities, our work with youth includes research on best practices and understanding the impact our programming has on our community. Our traditional programming prepares 4-H youth for roles in leadership and public speaking, and youth can build a portfolio and apply for a variety of 4-H scholarships as they reach college age!
What services can you provide in McDowell?
Your 4-H Agent in McDowell can provide a variety of services:
- By enrolling in 4-H Online you’ll receive regular updates about unique community events and projects.
- Our county offers a variety of clubs that serve specific communities or provide a variety of experiential learning opportunities. You can even create brand new clubs if you have an adult volunteer and five children from three separate families. Your agent can supply you with supplies, activity kits, or additional instruction free of charge!
- Every summer McDowell 4-H provides a variety of day camps called Summer Discovery. These are designed to be low-cost camps that typically teach a skill and are highly accessible to the community. Many of these camps are led by extension staff experts.
4-H is also a leader in providing youth curriculum and school enrichment to their communities. Educators and other community partners are free to rent out curriculum guides and activity kits, or contact your agent for access to our State 4-H Online Curriculum Page. We are also available for direct instruction, and our activity kits and curriculum guides provide detailed information on targeted grade level and alignment with state standards.
STEM & Agriculture
4‑H science programs provide 4‑H youth the opportunity to learn about Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) through fun, hands-on activities and projects.
4‑H healthy living programs help 4‑H youth learn how to lead lives that balance physical, mental, and emotional health.
How Do I Get Started?
Fill out an enrollment form on 4HOnline; pick a project; sign up for a workshop; or stop by the N.C. Cooperative Extension, McDowell County Center to talk with Chad Ray, 4-H Extension Agent, about your interests!