Backyard Composting Online Class
Composting is harnessing the power of nature to recycle your organic waste at home. Would you believe me if I told you more than 25% of the typical home’s waste is yard trimmings and food scraps? Imagine cutting down the amount of trash you take to the dump by 25%. What if I told you you could turn that “garbage” into fuel to power the growth of your plants? Composting is the answer and this webinar will teach you how you can create compost at home.
We will discuss how to set up a backyard composting pile for your home.
- How composting works: compost critters need food, water, & shelter
- Materials that can and can’t be composted at home
- How to conduct a home waste audit
- Compost pile and bin selection to meet your families needs
- How I go about building the pile: batch and continuous
- Common issues with home composting and how to prevent/solve them
We will use material from NC State University including:
Backyard Composting of Yard, Garden, and Food Discards Sherman, R. 2017. NC State Extension. AG-791.