Scavenger Hunt for Trees
North Carolina Cooperative Extension-McDowell County Center with the City of Marion Tree Board has located 15 trees in our area that is unique in some way. Follow the directions on the Scavenger Hunt for Trees to find each one. Everyone that completes the quest will have their name entered in a contest to win a prize. You must find at least 10 trees to enter. You can deliver your entries to the County Administration Building, 60 East Court Street, Marion in person or by mail or Molly_Sandfoss@ncsu.edu.
Here is how it works:
- Follow the clues on the sheet provided to find each tree. There will be a numbered sign on each tree. Write down the number and add the tree name to your entry form.
- Please leave the sign with numbers in place for the next scavenger hunter. If you feel a tree has a sign missing, please let Molly (Molly_Sandfoss@ncsu.edu) know. There will never be any need to dig!
- All the trees are in areas where the public has access during daylight hours.
- Keep to established paths as best you can.
- Please no night time hunting. Keep to daylight hours.
- Allow yourself plenty of time for each leg of tree hunt and be prepared for any type of weather.
- Keep location of the tree a secret. You worked hard to find it. Let others find it on their own.
- Respect our beautiful McDowell County. Don’t destroy property, litter, or start fires.
- There is no cost to enter. Only fun to be had!
The McDowell County Public Library has also some great books that are tree-themed. Here are some titles that they recommend in our library system:
- Celebritrees (Historic & Famous Trees of the World)- Margi Preus
- We are Going on a Leaf Hunt- Steve Metzger
- Leaf Man- Lois Ehlert
- Red Leaf, Yellow leaf- Lois Ehlert
- Tell Me Tree; All About Trees for Kids- Gail Gibbons
- Old Elm Speaks: Tree Poems-Kristine O’Connell George
- Trees- Rena Kirkpatrick
- Crinkleroot’s Guide to Knowing the Tree- Jim Arnosky
- The Wish Tree- Kyo Maclear
- Christmas Tree Farm- Ann Purmell
- The Curvy Tree- Chris Colfer
- The Little Fir Tree- Margaret Brown
- Eeyore and the Balloon Tree- Ronald Kidd
- Green- Laura Seeger
There are other books youth can find on the Libby app or e-Inc Digital Library.
In conjunction with the Scavenger Hunt for Trees the McDowell County Public Library will be performing a Live Reading of the Lorax on August 7 at 11 a.m. This is a Facebook Live event. You can find event details on the McDowell County Public Library Facebook page or the NCCE-McDowell County Center Facebook Page.
The tree hunt lasts from July 1 to August 31. The Scavenger Hunt for Trees is sponsored by North Carolina Cooperative Extension-McDowell County Center, McDowell 4-H, City of Marion Tree Board, and the McDowell County Public Library. COVID-19 doesn’t have to keep you inside when there is a world to discover. Get out and discover the wonderful world of trees!