Become an Extension Master Gardener Volunteer – Mecklenburg County
The Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Training Program
The Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Training Program is an intensive course in consumer horticulture (residential lawns, landscapes, and garden cultivation & maintenance). In exchange for their training, Extension Master Gardeners contribute time as volunteers and work through the N.C. Cooperative Extension Center in Mecklenburg County to provide horticulture-related information to the public through classes, plant clinics, newsletters, demonstration gardens, and a telephone hotline.
Extension Master Gardener volunteer training is usually conducted once every year. Our tentative class schedule for 2019 is as follows:
- Registration Fee: $160
- Location: 1418 Armory Drive Charlotte, NC 28204
- Time & Dates: January thru March, Tuesday and Thursday, from 9:30 am till 12:30 pm
Soils, Fertilizers, and Amendments; Organic Gardening;
Plant Identification and Propagation; Botany & Plant Physiology,
Composting, Grasscycling, & Mulching; Water-Efficient Landscaping;
Attracting and Deterring Wildlife; Native and Invasive Plants;
Beneficial and Pest Insects; Managing Plant Diseases & Weeds;
Selection and Culture of… Herbs, Houseplants, Flowers, Fruit, Lawns, Vegetables, Shrubs, Trees and Vines
Extension Master Gardeners in Mecklenburg County attain certification within a year of their training by returning 40 hours of educationally-based volunteer service.
To retain Extension Master Gardener certification, volunteers return 40 hours of educationally-based service to N.C. Cooperative Extension each year, which includes 10 hours of continuing education.
All Extension Master Gardener Volunteer work in Mecklenburg County is pre-approved by the Horticulture Agent and directly benefit the mission of the N.C. Cooperative Extension Service in Mecklenburg County
EXTENSION MASTER GARDENER PROJECTS:
Extension Master Gardeners in Mecklenburg County are trained to assist N.C. Cooperative Extension in delivering research-based, educational programs within our community via the following projects:
- teaching gardening and environmental education classes at libraries, rec centers, community centers, and schools
- diagnosing insect/disease/pest problems over the phone & in person
- creating educational media for Consumer Horticulture programs (newsletter articles, PowerPoint slideshows, handouts, evaluation tools, etc.)
- educationally supporting the Mecklenburg Co. Park & Recreation Community Gardens by teaching classes, troubleshooting problems, and demonstrating gardening techniques
The Extension Master Gardener program in Mecklenburg County is an intensive, research-based volunteer training program with the intent of training volunteers to assist N.C. Cooperative Extension in delivering research-based educational programming to the residents of Mecklenburg County.
The Extension Master Gardener Program is not…
- a garden club or social organization
- a certification program to be utilized in a job or profit-making venture (including landscape & lawn maintenance contractors; nurseries & garden centers; or landscape consultation services)
- a generalized class to help you gain more information about gardening, lawn care, or landscape maintenance
REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTANCE INTO THE PROGRAM
Applicants need not be “experts” in gardening, horticulture, or even have a background in science! Our volunteers come from diverse backgrounds, all of which are relevant to our programming! The most important aspects sought for prospective Extension Master Gardener volunteers are:
- availability to attend classes & meetings and assist with the Horticulture Help Desk of Mecklenburg County during weekdays
- interest in assisting one of the Mecklenburg County Park & Recreation Community Gardens in an educational aspect.
- willingness to learn how to find research-based answers to common gardening questions & to promote only research-based information in your Master Gardener volunteer projects
- interest in educating and serving the public through N.C. Cooperative Extension
- experience creating PowerPoint presentations; educational curriculum and materials; and proficiency in using computer programs and the Internet are highly desirable!
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
Individuals wishing to be considered for the next Extension Master Gardener Training program in 2019 are encouraged to apply anytime. All applications are reviewed and sometimes applicants are interviewed depending on the number of applicants. From the interviews, if conducted, the final candidates are invited to train to become Extension Master Gardeners.
To obtain the application please click the button below. Please note that you will have to fill out and submit a digital form prior to the formal application being provided. Once you have clicked “SUBMIT” on the digital form, a digital link to the application will be provided on your screen.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
If you need more information –or– are interested in receiving application materials for Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Training please call 704-336-2082. You may also send your name and mailing address via email to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!